Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sandpaper letters

I made these with poster paper and sandpaper following directions from various Montessori blogs. I was divided between doing cursive and non. Font choice also confused me. I picked Block Letters Tryout and have begun with lower case.

While M doesn't necessarily trace her fingers along the letters correctly, she recalls the letters well. She especially loved an extension activity which involved placing an object beginning with the letters in front of the correct letter.

On Monday we did d, e, and f with the objects: diaper (this was a hit), egg and a fork. First I went over the sound as in "duh, duh diaper" with the correct object placed in front of the letter. She got that and so then I mixed it up saying "I think Mommy mixed them up!". She corrected them and I did mental cartwheels, something clicked - for her and for me.

I will take and post pictures next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment